Monday, September 29, 2008

CHINA!


Barring any unforeseen circumstances, and with God's help and approval, I will be crossing the International Date Line 3 weeks from today! Yup. The long-awaited China trip is almost here. I received a package from People to People Citizen Ambassador Programs (http://www.citizenambassadors.org/default.aspx) in the middle of last week, and amongst the luggage tags and passport holders, I almost missed our FINAL ITINERARY! Who is "our" and what is our "itinerary"? Well, in case you hadn't heard, I have the distinct honor of leading a delegation of technical communication professionals to China from 19-31 October 2008. A life-altering event is about to happen. My world is about to grow by an order of magnitude, and my wonder quotient will rise far above the height of anything yet experienced (or so I hope!).

The actual page on the People to People (P2P) site that describes the trip I'll be leading is here:
http://www.citizenambassadors.org/upcomingprograms/science_tech/oestreich-linda_10-2008.asp

We have 20 folks on the trip, five of whom are "guests." That means they are accompanying the techcomm professional and will have their own side trips to see more of the cultural side of China while my colleagues and I visit universities, organizations, and businesses to discuss the business and theory of techcomm.

Pretty nifty, huh? Of course, even with the 4 days of professional visits and several days set aside for traveling within the country, we will still do some cultural things. The one that I'm looking forward to with most excitement is the day we will take a trip down the Li River in the area of Guilin.


Lordy, Lordy! I'm just about the luckiest person in the world! I know only one of the people on the trip--my good friend, Sherry Michaels, who lives and works in Scottsdale ( http://www.docntrain.com/home.php). We have 20 folks going on the trip, so I'll be adding many more folks to my ever-growing network of wonderful people. The group is already multinational, even before we begin meeting with our Chinese colleagues. Our delegation includes four folks from Canada, two from Belgium, and one American who lives in Indonesia!

So, in the coming weeks you'll hear a lot more about this trip. My crazed preparations will take up much of my energy from now til then, I'm sure. We have all been sharing information through a Yahoo group. We've decided to begin a special blog just for the trip that we can all write in. That way, all of our friends, families, and colleagues can keep up with our adventures.

Be well, Everyone, Life is GOOD!

Linda O

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linda O

Linda O
Glamorous Me