Thursday, September 25, 2008

$700 BILLION Bailout plus

Lots and lots of traffic on home email about the bailout and the upcoming elections. I choose to be rather uninformed, because I find that when I get informed, I am even sadder/angrier/more scared to think about what's happening in our country right now. Nonetheless, this bailout is a topic that I am following better than most. I truly think that we (Americans) are in the most critical/tenuous position I can ever remember as an adult. I'm saddened by our loss of respect throughout the world. I'm saddened by the masses of us who are more interested in what Britney Spears is doing than what is happening to our economy and our planet. I religiously listen to NPR for my news. I can't handle the local TV news, but listen to the national news programs. From time to time, I read specific magazine articles that help me learn more about candidates and causes. So, I hope that in the long run, I can cast my vote based on some hard information and a lot of heart. I am always amazed at how each of us interprets the same information in such different ways, depending on what we bring along as our personal baggage. Nonetheless, I'm hopeful for us. I believe in our foundation of civil liberty. And I believe that the United States is and will remain the best country on Earth for living free. I hope I'm not wrong.

Along a similar train of thought, I did a fun and interesting quiz online this morning. It's part of an ABC poll (http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/MatchoMatic/fullpage?id=5542139). You click on statements made by Obama and McCain to answer specific questions. Then, based on how many questions you chose by a certain candidate, you vote for that candidate. As I answered the questions, I really didn't always know which candidate had said what. I needed to answer what I thought was right. As it turns out, I was strongly in favor of Obama, but I did agree with some of what McCain said, so it was by no means a shut out!

I can't help but be pleased that I'll be out of the country the last two weeks of October. I won't have to listen to the last-minute, negative political ads. I'll be back in plenty of time to cast my vote. I hope everyone who can does.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linda O

Linda O
Glamorous Me