Tuesday, September 11, 2018

My Paris Pilgrimage #7

Close to Home

So, it's Tuesday evening, 11 September, about 2000 (8 pm). Funny to be in a country where 9/11 isn't a national tragedy, but I didn't speak to too many people today, so perhaps if I had mentioned it, they would have known. No matter. I knew and sent prayers and energy to all those we lost, all who survived, and all those who responded to the call.

It's been a quiet two days. Haven't been on a Metro or bus either day. Yesterday, I walked down to the Seine and visited a lovely open air sculpture garden then went to the Jardin des Plantes, where I moseyed along enjoying the flowers and plants throughout that lovely park. 

Today, I thought I was going to visit an area of Paris called Belleville, but just couldn't get the energy to get out and make it happen. Instead, I packaged all kinds of stuff that I had bought for gifts into a mailing box and took it to the postal station to mail to myself. I sure hope it arrives! France has a subset of their postal system called "La Poste."  La Poste has a prepaid box that can be used to send things anywhere in the world. So, I used it.  Not cheap, but better than schlepping all that stuff home. I came here with three suitcases. I intend to go home with only two. So, I bought a second box today...I'll fill it up and hope that by mailing more stuff to me, I'll fit my whatever's left into two suitcases.  After all, lots of things I brought here were because I wasn't home. Going home, I can leave many things behind that were critical to bring. At least, that's my plan.  We'll see how it goes. I'll check back with you in October!

After the post office, I had lunch at a little Cafe on the Boulevard Arago. I had pizza!  Pizza here isn't like pizza at home. Here's a picture of my luncheon feast and a look at the beach chairs they had for some of their patrons. I did not sit in those chairs; was afraid I'd never get up without help!

Pizza Bolognese

Cafe on Boulevard Arago
After lunch, I went to the grocery store for some basics and then came home. I thought I might look for a place to get a haircut, but after the grocery store, realized it would be dumb to not get home quickly for the fridge stuff. And that was my Tuesday.  Just a simple day in Paris doing simple errands.

Now, yesterday, although I didn't veer too far afield, I did walk a lot more and saw a lot more than today. My apartment is pretty close to the river, so I walked to the river and along it for a mile or so enjoying the added surprise of the "Musee de Sculpture en Plein Air," -- an outdoor sculpture garden! (Sorry for the repeat for those of you who saw these pics on FB!) 

An added tidbit was that I noticed a couple practicing a dance in one area along the quai.  Last weekend, when on a boat tour with Donna and Linda, I remember seeing several groups dancing in these semicircular cutouts in the cement. The quai had about six of them...each of them contained people doing different types of dance!  Western Swing, polka, tango, etc. And, yesterday, I'm sure the couple was practicing for this coming weekend's events. You can see them in this video. I tried to be unobtrusive, so I'm kinda far away--just ignore the passers-by.


Of course, I noted the sculptures--and wondered why some of them had been allowed to be defaced with grafitti and trash. After a while, I found a little quiet area and wrote and sat thinking and enjoying the lovely day. Here are some of the sculptures, a bit of the view from the quai, and me.












Leaving the river, I walked to the Jardin des Plantes, a large park near my apartment that houses a zoo, a botanical garden, a couple of museums, and a school. It's pretty big, and all of the outdoors is delightfully planted with various flowers, trees, and greenspaces.  They even have a carousel!  Here's a sampling:

Some variety of sunflower--much taller than me!


The carousel

One of the pathways through the flowers

A rather suggestive flower

Had to get a closeup!


They have a huge rose garden, but most of the plants were sparse from having survived the heatwave of August

Not sure who this is, but he was in the middle of everything!
After leaving the garden, I made it home, climbed the 68 stairs to my apartment, and fell onto the couch exhausted.  This walking life is good for me, but having those stairs at the end of every day is a killer!  Would someone please remind me why I rented a place with no elevator?  :-)  

Take care...another blog in a few days...I'm supposed to have lunch with Sylviane, at her home tomorrow.  She's a woman I met in a cafe...we'll see how that transpires and I'll report back--unless she's a white slaver (LOL!). 

A bientot, mes amis!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Linda O

Linda O
Glamorous Me